HarperCollins Independent Bookshop Initiative 2022 Terms & Conditions
- The HarperCollins Independent Bookshop Promotion 2022 promotion (“the Promotion”) is promoted by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (“HarperCollins”), The News Building, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF.
- The Promotion is open to all independent bookshops in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland which meet the following criteria:
a. You must have a physical shop as your primary place of business (i.e.the majority of your sales must take place in your premises and not via the internet); and
b. Print books must be the main retail product in your shop and must account for at least 50% of your turnover.
- To qualify as an independent bookshop you can’t have more than 3 shops in your business (including affiliate shops or shops under common ownership)
- The prizes are non-refundable, non-transferable and subject to availability. No guarantee is given as to the quality of the prize.
- No prize alternatives are available.
- HarperCollins reserve the right in their reasonable discretion to substitute any prize with a prize of equal or greater value.
- HarperCollins’ decision as to who has won the promotions shall be final. HarperCollins is under no obligation to distribute all of the prizes, and if no entrants meet the judge’s standards HarperCollins shall be entitled to only distribute some or none of the prizes.
- Any application containing incorrect, false or unreadable information will be rejected. Any applications made on behalf of or for another person or multiple entries will not be included in the competition.
- To obtain the name of the prize winner after the closing date, please write to Independent Thinking, Group Sales, HarperCollins Publishers, The News Building, 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9GF.
- The entry instructions are part of the Terms and Conditions for this promotion.
- By entering the promotion you are agreeing to accept these Terms and Conditions. Any breach of these Terms and Conditions by you will mean that your entry will not be valid, and you will not be allowed to enter this competition.
- By entering this competition, you are agreeing that if you win your name and image may be used for the purpose of announcing the winner in any related publicity with HarperCollins, without additional payment or permission.
- Under no circumstances will HarperCollins be responsible for any loss, damages, costs or expenses arising from or in any way connected with any errors, defects, interruptions, malfunctions or delays in the promotion of the competition or prize.
- HarperCollins will not be responsible unless required by law, for any loss, changes, costs or expenses, which may arise in connection with this competition and HarperCollins can cancel or alter the competition at any stage.
- Any dispute relating to the competition shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
The Indie 50 Promotional Books
1. HarperCollins will offer participating independent bookshops discount of 55% on a range of front-list titles chosen by HarperCollins.
2. The promotion benefits apply only the 50 books/ISBNs (“Promotional Books”) offered by HarperCollins in each wave, no other titles/editions will be included and no substitutions are available.
3. The extra discount on the 50 Promotional Books will be applied on invoice and will be applied to Promotional Books ordered during the Autumn and Spring Waves dates as set out below.
- Autumn wave open Monday 13th September 2021 – Midnight 12th November 2021 (“Autumn Wave”); and
- Spring wave open Monday 4th March 2022 – Midnight Friday 15th April 2022 (“Spring Wave”).
4. Only re-orders placed for the Promotional Books with your HarperCollins rep with at least (i) a minimum total order quantity of 50 Promotional books; or (ii) Promotional Books worth £350 net value, within the Autumn Wave and/or Spring Wave will qualify for the additional discount. You can place any number of re-orders during the Autumn Wave and/or Spring Wave and subsequent qualifying promotional re-orders for the Promotional Books can be placed directly with your HarperCollins rep. Where possible, ordering in pack sizes is advisable. Orders placed outside the Autumn Wave and Spring Wave will not qualify for additional discount.
5. If you do not have a HarperCollins rep please visit http://www.indiethinking.co.uk/8464/details-for-your-local-field-sales-reps/ for details of the HarperCollins rep for your area.
Indie Networking Grants for New Booksellers
- HarperCollins is offering grants to new booksellers to assist with travel costs to attend HarperCollins’ Independent Thinking event in London in January 2022.
- The total grant fund is £4000.
- Individual grants of up to £200 available per bookseller
- More than one bookseller per independent bookshop may apply but max of two grants will be awarded to booksellers from the same independent bookshop.
- Qualifying booksellers must have been working at an independent bookshop for no more than two years – either at a new shop or an established shop.
- To apply complete the application form found http://www.indiethinking.co.uk/8628/indie-networking-grants-for-new-booksellers/ and tell us in no more than 100 words the benefits of them attending HarperCollins Indie Thinking 2022 event.
- All applications must be received on the dedicated application form by midnight Friday 29th October 2021.
- Successful applicants will be informed by Friday 26th November 2021.
- Grants will be paid by 31st January 2022.
10. The winner of the competition will be selected by a panel of judges in their sole discretion taking into account the following criteria:
a. What you hope to gain by attending the event; and
b. Geographical location of the bookshop.
11. If the Independent Thinking event is postponed the grant should be used for the rescheduled date. If tickets have been purchased and cannot be refunded successful applicants should contact their HarperCollins rep.
Indie Reading Packs
- Indie Reading Packs offer a subscription to receive packs of advance proof copies from HarperCollins every quarter through 2022.
- 100 subscriptions are available on a first come first served basis.
- Applications for subscriptions must be received by Friday 29th October 2021.
4. Packs will be sent free of charge.
5. Packs will include approximately five books.
6. Packs will be sent approximately four times during the subscription period.
7. Books included will be chosen by HarperCollins – no substitutions or additions available
You may unsubscribe at any time during the promotion period.
8. Booksellers can opt to receive their proof pack subscription digitally or physically – digital subscriptions will be fulfilled via NetGalley and will require the bookseller to have an active NetGalley account.
- The competition consists of 30 available places
The Author Events Forum runs in spring 2022 with dates and times to be confirmed.
2. Open to all independent bookshops in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
3. Applications are welcome from booksellers with stalled events programmes, looking to launch a new events programme or reboot an existing events programme.
4. Applicants are asked to tell us in no more than 100 words the benefits of them joining the programme
5. The winner of the competition will be selected by a panel of judges in their sole discretion taking into account the following criteria:
a. What you hope to gain from the Author Events Forum
6. Successful applicants will be invited to remotely attend via video-conference two group author event learning and sharing sessions with the HarperCollins publicity team
7. Successful applicants will be invited to attend via video-conference one one-to-one author events help and guidance sessions with a HarperCollins publicist, chosen by HarperCollins.
8. Successful participants will need to make themselves available to join the group sessions, the one-on-one author sessions will be scheduled at a time convenient to the bookseller and publicist.
9. The publicist role is to provide advice and guidance based on the experience of publisher and author
10. No guarantee of securing author events is made as part of the Publicist Masterclass promotion.